About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Kaytee Mueller. I am 31 years young. I have 3 children, Hudson (5), Nora (3) and Clare (a few months old)...(yes I have my hands full... haha). My husband's name is Kyle and we've been together for something like 13 years.... and I am a teacher. I teach 1st grade this year and I absolutely love everything about it. The only thing is, I get bored very easily & let's just say it's rare that I do the same thing more than once. With that being said, I am constantly researching, googling, pinning, & searching blogs to find new and improved ways to better meet the needs of my very diverse learners. Oh-- and did I mention that I'm the bulletin board queen? Yes. Absolutely love decorating my class and making a room with 4 cement walls feel like a cozy, homey, comfortable, safe & magical place to learn--not easy but well worth it.

Monday, September 29, 2014

Making students accountable for their learning!

 New to Mrs. Mueller's Room this year... our "I can!" Bulletin Board. The plan for this board is to have our "I can" Statements posted for whatever standards we are working on. The "I can" statements will change from story to story (lesson to lesson). I created "I can" statements for all the informational text and literature standards. The Big Idea and theme objectives will also be listed (to be changed when the unit/theme is changed) (Our first theme is Perseverance--a picture of what it looks like is posted below!)



Here's our 2nd theme! "The World Around Me"



 
Work in progress!! Need to cut and laminate and label the standards still. If you want to purchase the 2nd grade Common Core I can Statements click here!

Update!!!!



I'm sure you're wondering... what about data tracking? Each student has a data tracking folder inside of their Daily 5 binder. The students can track their progress by rating themselves and tracking their assessment scores.  This is what it looks like:



Students struggling with their sight words? Here are our sight word folders. 

Inside are two envelopes-- one envelope for words they've mastered. One for words they are still practicing and learning. I only assign 5 words at a time. The words are based on a sight word test we gave them at the beginning of the year (dolch words). I chose the first 5 words they missed on the assessment and I test them two times a week. If they can read a word, they get a smiley face on the word card and it gets placed in the "Words I Know" envelope. Every week, I make a point to pull out the "words I know" cards and review them with the student. If they "forget" a word they already learned then it gets placed back in the "words to learn" envelope. For every word learned, they are given a new word they missed from their sight word assessment. This continues until they've mastered all of their sight words. This is one of our RTI Tier 2 interventions.


At home, they are supposed to do an activity a night from the activity envelope. Every few weeks we switch out the activities with new ones so that it makes it more exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment