About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Kaytee Mueller. I am 31 years young. I have 3 children, Hudson (5), Nora (3) and Clare (a few months old)...(yes I have my hands full... haha). My husband's name is Kyle and we've been together for something like 13 years.... and I am a teacher. I teach 1st grade this year and I absolutely love everything about it. The only thing is, I get bored very easily & let's just say it's rare that I do the same thing more than once. With that being said, I am constantly researching, googling, pinning, & searching blogs to find new and improved ways to better meet the needs of my very diverse learners. Oh-- and did I mention that I'm the bulletin board queen? Yes. Absolutely love decorating my class and making a room with 4 cement walls feel like a cozy, homey, comfortable, safe & magical place to learn--not easy but well worth it.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Science Plant Experiment

Lima Bean Seed to Plant experiment-- This experiment is about learning how seeds grow. We made predictions, observations and recorded our results. The kids were shocked at the results. Many of them thought that the seeds would not sprout because they did not have real soil.

What you need:

  • lima bean
  • baggy
  • wet paper towel
  • window/direct sunlight
  • spot in the dark
Students will make observations every other day. Each day, the plant will sprout a little more. The students will draw a picture documenting their observation each day. That way they can see that the plant is really changing and that it is a living thing! 

At the end of 3 weeks, the students will compare how the seed in the sun grew to how the seed in the dark grew. They will also be able to draw conclusions based on the results. 












Update! 3 weeks later...






This is the one from inside of the bathroom. Notice it is growing, but the stem is white. The plants growing by the windows have green stems! What can the students infer from this!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment